Friday, May 23, 2008

Handyman Finds a Surprise in the Drywall

I started the week out busy for a January, but by Thursday I realized I barely had enough work to get me through the next week. The phone rang and it was a call for a routine drywall repair, well I thought it was a routine repair. The client (Nancy Dully) said that she had a “bubbling soft spot of drywall” in her living room about two feet wide that went from the ceiling to the floor.

Okay I was thinking the same thing you are thinking, but we would both be wrong, it was not a water stain or water damage, it was not even on a perimeter wall. The next morning I drove out to the Dully’s house to give a bid on the drywall repair. The Dully’s had only owned this house for a year, but had already painted this part of the drywall five times, and the paint just kept peeling off. Nancy showed me the problem spot, and it was just like she described, but with very dark stains. I probed the drywall and found it very soft in the area with the staining. I figured out what it would cost to repair the drywall damage, but I told Nancy we also had to find out what caused the drywall damage in the first place. With out remediating the cause of the drywall damage the new drywall would also become damaged.


More tomorrow.

No comments: